It’s all about speed. For the last decade Nike has continually evolved college football uniforms for the country’s best teams. Among these, the Oregon Ducks football uniforms are on the cutting edge of innovation, with the clear goal of optimizing athlete performance and speed on the field. On December 30, Oregon will take the field wearing the latest Nike Pro Combat “Mach Speed” uniform, the most innovative Nike Pro Combat system of dress to date.
The uniform features an all-new chassis including the latest in lightweight fabric innovation built for maximum speed, ventilation and comfort. Drawing inspiration from some of the fastest athletes in the world, Nike has applied research and design across multiple sports to create one of the fastest uniforms on the field. Taking insights from Nike’s Swift Suit technology, the new Nike Mach Speed Football uniform fabric construction features an articulated fit to match the athlete’s motion of play. Ultimately this allows the athletes to move with the uniform fabrics, rather than against them.
Built for optimal thermoregulation, the new uniform features three distinct woven mesh fabrics. Each panel on the jersey and pant is matched specifically to the pads underneath in order to promote maximum airflow. Key jersey features include:
- Durable, heavy-duty stretch-woven panels strategically placed to lock down the shoulder pads across the chest and back.
- New Nike Chain Maille 2.0 mesh fabric, ventilated through laser-cut pods, used to provide strength at the neck grill for that lock down fit. This same mesh is employed at the back of the neck, under the arm, and in an air channel between the chest panels for increased airflow.
- Laser perforated mesh panels incorporated into major heat zones within the mid-section of the jersey – at the stomach and lower back – allowing for heat release where athletes need it most.
- The jersey armhole openings are rotated forward for a more articulated fit and better range of motion. An additional stretch gusset has been added below the armhole to enhance flexibility.
The new Nike Mach Speed pant utilizes the same three woven fabrics, strategically integrated for maximum durability, movement, and ventilation. Key pant features include:
- A tailored hem at the back of the knee reducing bulk, while a cuff at the front locks in the pads.
- Perforated mesh fabric behind the knee to keep the athlete cool, augmented by a Nike Chain Maille 2.0 mesh panels at the side of the leg for zoned ventilation.
- At the waist, an updated gripper draw cord locks the pant in place.
“We meet with the team on a regular basis to gain insights into what they need on the field,” said Todd Van Horne, Nike Football VP and Creative Director. “They’ve told us that uniform fit, range of motion, and airflow make a drastic difference on the field, and we are excited to provide them with a uniform that solves those problems and helps them perform on the field.”
"Our relationship with Nike is unique and continues to be incredibly beneficial to our program and our players" said Oregon Football head coach, Mark Helfrich. "To see their feedback translate directly into improved uniform and equipment design is awesome, and it will only add to their level of confidence and performance on the field."
The new 2014 uniform design updates the traditional Duck wing pattern to cover the entire shoulder and arm panels. This bold, directional split-wing pattern update spreads out from the center of the chest helps to provide increased abrasion protection across the shoulders. The pant design showcases strong graphic embellishments, reading “Oregon” on the right leg and “Ducks” on the left. Oregon’s latest helmet design features a split wing pattern that mimics the shoulder design.
Steel silver wings that transition to lightning yellow at the armhole highlight the black uniform. Both the baselayer top and sock match this lightning yellow color and the uniform’s black helmet features a steel silver wing mimicking the shoulder. Fighting Duck Green takes center stage atop the white uniform, coloring the shoulder wings and highlighting the baselayer. A carbon fiber helmet embellished with lightning yellow wings finishes the white uniform look.
Continuing the Duck’s uniform evolution through the lens of speed, the 2014 Nike Mach Speed Oregon Uniform chassis and updated designs will be integrated into the team’s existing wardrobe for the upcoming season.